Family Program & Therapy
The family program consists of a weekly group for patients and participating family members. The focus of group is on understanding how addiction and substance abuse affect family systems, communication, boundaries, and coping with reactions and feelings towards the addiction and family. Al Anon, individual therapy, or additional family therapy is sometimes recommended for family members.
Topics for Family Group
- Repairing relationships
- Healthy boundaries
- Week to week issues that arise
- Rebuilding trust
- Al anon and/or Faith-Based family groups
- Healthy communication
Goals of the Family Program
- To establish or re-establish healthy levels of communication around the addiction and recovery.
- To educate family members on substance dependence and abuse, as well as on the treatment and recovery process.
- To address harm done to the family system from active addiction.
- To support family members in addressing their own reactions and feelings towards the addiction and loved one in treatment.
- To support family members in taking care of themselves emotionally, spiritually, and socially.
- To support the patient in beginning to re-establish trust and heal within the family.
- To support family members in setting and maintaining healthy boundaries.